Understanding Hemorrhoids: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatment Options
Hemorrhoids – a term that can evoke a sense of discomfort just by its mere mention. They’re a common health issue that millions of people deal with at some point in their lives. However, due to the stigma and embarrassment associated with this condition, many individuals lack the necessary knowledge about hemorrhoids. This lack of awareness can sometimes lead to a delay in treatment, thereby complicating the condition. In this article, the team at Premier Surgical Hemorrhoid Treatment Center in Knoxville, TN, aims to help you understand hemorrhoids, their causes, symptoms, and various treatment options.
What are Hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids, also known as piles, are swollen veins located around the anus or in the lower rectum, similar to varicose veins. They can either be internal, occurring inside the rectum, or external, developing under the skin around the anus.
Causes of Hemorrhoids
There are several factors that can increase your risk of developing hemorrhoids:
- Straining during bowel movements: This is one of the most common causes of hemorrhoids. Continuous straining puts pressure on the veins in the rectum and anus, leading to swelling.
- Chronic constipation or diarrhea: These conditions can result in increased straining during bowel movements, promoting the development of hemorrhoids.
- Age: Hemorrhoids are more common in individuals who are aged 45 and older due to the weakening of the tissues supporting the veins in the rectum and anus.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women often develop hemorrhoids due to the pressure exerted by the growing uterus on the rectal veins.
- Obesity and a sedentary lifestyle: These factors increase the risk of hemorrhoids due to the additional pressure on the pelvic veins.
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids can manifest a range of symptoms. These can include:
- Itching or irritation in your anal region
- Pain or discomfort
- Swelling around your anus
- Bleeding during bowel movements
- A lump near your anus, which may be sensitive or painful
Treatment Options for Hemorrhoids
Thankfully, hemorrhoids are generally not serious and are treatable. Treatment options vary depending on the severity of the condition. For milder cases, lifestyle changes, dietary adjustments, and over-the-counter remedies can effectively treat hemorrhoids. This can include high-fiber diets, increased water intake, regular exercise, and avoiding straining during bowel movements.
However, for persistent or more severe cases medical treatment such as Infrared Coagulation may be recommended for long term relief.
Infrared Coagulation (IRC): This non-invasive procedure uses infrared light to cause small, bleeding, internal hemorrhoids to harden and shrivel. The Premier Surgical Hemorrhoid Treatment Center specializes in IRC. It is effective in eliminating more than 90 percent of troublesome hemorrhoids. IRC is covered by most insurance plans.
We are the only dedicated hemorrhoid treatment center in the southeastern region. Our skilled and compassionate professionals prioritize your comfort and privacy, offering top-notch treatment options, including the minimally invasive IRC method.
If you’re experiencing symptoms of hemorrhoids, don’t let discomfort or embarrassment hold you back from seeking help. Contact our Confidential Hemorrhoid Hotline at (865) 588-9952 or submit our PREMIER HEMORRHOID CENTER APPOINTMENT REQUEST FORM to schedule a consultation and take the first step towards eliminating your hemorrhoids for good.
With our help, you can regain your comfort and peace of mind. Remember, there’s no shame in having hemorrhoids, but there’s a great deal of victory in overcoming them!