SURGERY CENTER – FIRST ASSIST
Location: Premier Surgery Center on Papermill Drive
Position summary: Full time, weekdays. Assists surgeon during operative and invasive procedures and assures operating suite is adequately prepared for procedure.
Job qualifications: Registered Nurse or Surgical Technician, First Assistant Certification or First Assistant Training.
Reports to: Assistant Director of Surgical Services
1. Assists surgeon during operative and invasive procedures. Assures operating suite is adequately prepared for procedure.
2. Monitors PAR level of all surgical instruments and supplies. Cleans and sterilizes all surgical instruments.
3. Provides patient with explanations and verbal reassurance, as necessary.
4. Adapts procedures to meet individual needs of pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients for treatment
5. Accurately completes operating room counts (instruments, sponges, needles); follows proper procedure in case of incorrect count; reports all discrepancies to circulating nurse and surgeon and/or corrects immediately.
6. Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, sutures, supplies and equipment for each individual surgical procedure.
7. Demonstrates competence in care of specimens and accurately handles specimens at all times.
8. Assists in the positioning, prepping and draping of patients for surgical procedures.
9. Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
10. Other related duties as assigned