David J. Harrell, MD, FACS
Dr. David Harrell is a general surgeon with the Premier Surgical North Knoxville office. He specializes in minimally invasive surgeries for acid reflux, gall bladder disease, hernia repair, thyroid disease and other general surgeries. He is a member of the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons and the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. Dr. Harrell performs surgeries at North Knoxville Medical Center and Premier Surgery Center. He joined Premier Surgical in 2001.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- BS: Baylor University, Waco, Texas
- MD: Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, Texas
- Residency: General Surgery, University of Louisville, Kentucky
- Fellowship: Surgical Endoscopy & Therapeutic ERCP, University of Louisville, Kentucky
- Board Certified: General Surgery, American Board of Surgery
- Member: Fellow of American College of Surgeons; Active Member American Association of Endocrine Surgeons, Society of American Gastrointestinal & Endoscopic Surgeons
- Positions Held: Tennova Department of Surgery Chairman 2013-2017, Tennova Metro Chief of Staff 2020
- Recognition: Credentialed using the da Vinci® Surgical System, Cityview Magazine “Top Docs” 2021, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011
- Joined Premier Surgical: 2001, following 1997-2001 practice in Kingsport, Tennessee
- “Dr. David Harrell, he was kind, considerate and listened intently to my complain and was so through with his exam that he did it in 3 different positions to make sure that he was feeling the complete nodule. Thank you, Dr. Harrell.”
- “Dr. Harrell was great. Could not have ask for a better experience.”
- “Dr. Harrell was wonderful!”
- “Dr. Harrell and all staff members exceeded my expectations.”
Meet Dr. Harrell
See an inside view of a Ventral Hernia Repair performed by Dr. Harrell with a da Vinci robotic surgical system. Video courtesy of Intuitive Surgical.
A Colectomy is a surgery to remove part of all of the colon. It may be performed for patients with a colon cancer, Crohn’s Disease, diverticulitis or other conditions. Here’s an inside view as Dr. Harrell performs a robotic Sigmoid Colectomy using the da Vinci surgical system by Intuitive.
Nissen fundoplication is a surgical procedure to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and hiatal hernia. In this procedure, the surgeon wraps the top of the stomach around the lower esophagus. This reinforces the lower esophageal sphincter, making it less likely that acid will back up in the esophagus. In this video Dr. Harrell performs a robotic nissen fundoplictaion using the daVinci Xi system. Click box to view.
Dr. Harrell explores surgical treatment options for GERD on this episode of Doc Talk, produced by the Knoxville Academy of Medicine.
Dr. Harrell explains the benefits of the Premier Surgical Surgery Center on the Swain Event show.
* Did you know we offer flat-fee packages for select Gallbladder and Hernia procedures? Visit our Premier Surgery Packages website to learn more.